Wednesday, May 30, 2007

What I've Learnt: 1st half 2007

It has been approximately half a year since the last time I said my goodbyes and embarked on yet another journey in a new place, albeit one closer to home. New challenges, new passion, new distractions, new people and most impotantly, new hope. But I won't exactly call it a roller coaster ride. Life's been good, almost too good. I am grateful, truly grateful for the many blessings generously poured out for me. To describe it more aptly, my cup overflows.




Which brings me to these questions lingering over me. Have I learnt anything new? Have I grown into a better man, a better doctor (wannabe), a better friend, a better son? Those who know me may see things I've overlooked, and as my friend Anna eloquently puts it, I have changed substantially over these past one-and-a-half years. For the better, hopefully.



In brief introspection, here are the things I've learnt within this period:


1. I've learnt the importance of managing my priorities. If I fail to get them sorted out, nothing would be accomplished.

2. I've learnt the importance of relying on God, but I realise that He gave us brains to use, so why not act with wisdom...instead of whining helplessly to heaven?

3. I've learnt to appreciate people for who they are, to scratch beneath the surface and discover new perspectives on life. To savor their experiences and enjoy the warmth of company. And yearn for more, perhaps :)

4. To appreciate my parents for what they have done for me; their sacrifices allowing me to fulfill my potential and realise my dreams. Though I may not voice it out explicitly, this sense of gratitude has always been within me. And the older I get, the more I cherish them.

5. I've learnt the importance of being more decisive. Trust me, it really is the substance that seperates the men from the boys.

6. I've learnt to control myself from solving things I should more appropriately leave to God. It contradicts No. 2

7. I've learnt that obedience is better than sacrifice. God's Word can be powerful when I least expect it.

8. Advice can be the most valuable thing, or the most worthless. It depends on how the intended recepient takes it.

9. Too many bananas will stop the heart. And too much garlic will cause you to bleed to death!






I've experienced more than a new hairstyle.....





Plus new questions yet to be answered:


1. Will I ever get some privacy? I wonder if everyone with a room mate feels the same way. It gets me worked up in ways I do not expect. It's not a pretty sight.

2. Will I ever get the same amount of sleep I would like? Or would I have to adjust to the increasing workload and give up those few precious hours in the morning. You know, sleeping in? :P

3. Do some people deserve the problems they face? Have they brought it upon themselves?

4. Is it wrong to tell someone the truth about how you feel about them, even if it might offend them? But not telling them would be cruel, no?

5. Will I ever tell someone my true feelings for them? Eh-HEM...you know..I'm still new to this concept. I'm not that confident, even if looks may betray it. Must I act promptly, or take it easy? I'll opt for the latter at this moment, even though I may regret my decision later!

6. Am I metro? I do very well hope not






Or a change of cup size...but it's not my experience ;p

1 comment:

pinksterz said...

some roomates do respect privacies of others. i met these kind of people before :) during my matriculations.
it's just hard to find these kind of people.

and you are 59% metro. how's that? LOL!

well, at least that's more than a half. and it's not a passing mark yet. right?

Copyright © 2007 Christopher Sim. All rights reserved. Any infringement would result in mutilation, public humiliation and perhaps decapitation. Do you get the explanation or do you need a demonstration?