Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Who's a friend, who's an acquaintance?


Adult Friend Finder: Now that's friendship!?!




I know, It's supposed to be Valentines Day. But like anyone who's still reading this, and not going out with their soul mate/life-partner/other half/fuzzywuzzum babypoo...my heart reaches out to you. But don't go on and masturbate to hentai, monkey porn, or whatever you're into after this. Now that's just plain sad. Instead, stop whining about being single and move on with your life.

I did.


So instead of writing about the usual mushy lovey dovey stuff on Valen-stein Day, I'm gonna talk about friendship.


"to have a single friend is better than having many acquaintances."



I came across this on jamie's blog. It kept me awake thinking about it. Yeah, I'm an insomniac, but it's nice to settle down and do a little soul searching once in a while.



First of all, how do I define a friend? Reminiscing about my friends produced this list:

Someone who...

enjoys long meaningless conversations that lead nowhere
and listens too..
gets into heated arguments, but it dies out eventually
enjoys a nice cold beer sometimes
has annoying habits
compromise, compromise, compromise
treats me to lunch when I'm broke
enjoys a game of pool
goes to church with
does not got to church with
is taken for granted sometimes
someone I'm comfortable with
gets worked up over petty issues
never keeps a grudge
vowed to see each other again after parting ways
shared interests...................and the list goes on




But what differenciates a friend from an acquaintance? Sometimes, we tend to drift apart as friends after a while. It's a normal thing. But we remain friends for a reason. The answer that came to me was plain, straight and simple...But that's the Zen of it.


'SOMEONE YOU CAN TRUST'


So, I've somehow figured it out...According to the Theory of Chris, friendship is a form of social contract. The contract is sealed and binded by mutual trust. If trust is broken, the social contract is broken. So, friendship ends. That's how many friendships tragically end. Relationships too.



What are your thoughts about this? I'm interested in hearing your opinion. Perhaps I oversimplified it somewhere.

5 comments:

Robin Wong said...

hey..
yeah, i do agree on the part where friends are the people that you can trust, but once that trust is broken, the very foundation that holds on to the friendship is shattered as well.
It is indeed difficult to find trust especially in today's ever changing world... people you know today might evolve and become a monster the next morning.

Wanster said...

"enjoys long meaningless conversations that lead nowhere
and listens too..
gets into heated arguments, but it dies out eventually
enjoys a nice cold beer sometimes
has annoying habits
compromise, compromise, compromise
treats me to lunch when I'm broke
enjoys a game of pool
goes to church with
does not got to church with
is taken for granted sometimes
someone I'm comfortable with
gets worked up over petty issues
never keeps a grudge
vowed to see each other"

sure it's stressful to be your friend huh. :D

btw that sounds like more like a soul mate/life-partner/other half/fuzzywuzzum babypoo to me than a friend.

Anonymous said...

I like cold beer - Brian

zewt said...

friends are not those who always call me a brother... but those who stillc all me and ask me out despite me telling them off... speaking from experience.

those who call me brothers? well... i guess they are too busy praying for me... i think they are still praying. very prayerful they are.

Anonymous said...

Theory of Chris..

have you found a friend like that? of has such a friend found you?

Copyright © 2007 Christopher Sim. All rights reserved. Any infringement would result in mutilation, public humiliation and perhaps decapitation. Do you get the explanation or do you need a demonstration?